Virtual schools are the experts when it comes to improving educational outcomes for looked after children.
Achievement for All are experts in coaching schools to implement evidence based approaches to improve outcomes for all vulnerable learners.
LiFT is a bespoke coaching programme designed specifically to bring these two strands of expertise together, based on learning from the London Fostering Achievement programme.
“We are pleased to be using the Achievement for All a programme to support Children in Care again. We were part of the national pilot and saw a significant improvement with progress of our children. It is enabling our Virtual School to develop our training capacity for schools and Academies with Children in Care on roll.” Jane Featherstone, Virtual School Head, Gloucestershire
Our Achievement Coaches have worked closely with schools across the country to review current practice and target improvement in four core areas:
- Teaching and Learning
- Parent and Carer Engagement
- The Whole Child (wider outcomes)
Progress in reading, writing and maths for the cohorts of children and young people targeted by our programme is typically 50% above national expected levels. For independent evidence of our impact, please click here.
Since 2014, we have worked in partnership with virtual schools to deliver bespoke coaching options for school leaders, governors, teaching and support staff and foster carers to support improved well-being and educational attainment of looked after children, in line with their strategic plan.
Every virtual school is different and we work with them to identify and plan a programme of coaching activity that best suits their needs – whether it be direct work with schools as part of the Schools Programme, targeted support in harvesting and analysing progress and attainment data, a programme of CPD and peer support for school staff and foster carers or help in reviewing the impact of PP+ spend.
Examples of our partnership work with virtual schools include:
- Working with 11 virtual schools to embed the Schools Programme with a targeted focus on children looked after in 36 schools around the UK since Sept 2014
- Delivering training to foster carers to improve their engagement with schools and learning
- Successfully establishing a hub for Designated Teachers in Croydon to share practise, offer CPD and improve knowledge skills and confidence
- Delivering a training package for schools which includes ‘Closing the Gap’ training for SLT and governors, ‘Managing Challenging Behaviour’ training for support staff and ‘Engagement in Learning’ training for foster carers