Story Starters is designed to boost language and communicative development in a child's early years, giving them the skills to start school ready to read and reach for the stars.
Beanstalk recruits and trains volunteers as Story Starters and they go into early years settings to work with children aged 3 to 5. There are currently Story Starters trained, ready and waiting and we need to find settings who are interested in working with us to provide a placement.
Being a Story Starter setting will include:
- Trained volunteers offering one-to-one support in two 20 minute sessions a week
- Story Starters volunteers creating an unpressurised environment, taking the time to listen and get to know each child
- Using picture books as the context learning, the volunteer and child play and share stories to boost the child's language development and literacy skills
- Each supported child will receive a free-of-charge age appropriate book every month
- Each setting will also receive a box of specially selected books that the Story Starters will use in their sessions.
- For every setting which takes part, you will be asked to use the WellComm screening tool to evidence benefits to the child, this provides impact data which will support your Ofsted assessment.
More information on Story Starters can be found here: https://www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/become-a-story-starter-setting