We hope you are keeping well.
Thank you again for supporting the letter to the Prime Minister in March on the Build Back Better SLT report. We wanted to let you have an update.
Petition on the Parliament website
Gillian Rudd, a speech and language therapist, and two parents, Dave Harford and Steve Hermon, have tabled a petition on the UK Parliament website. It calls on the UK Government to fund improved support for people of all ages with communication and swallowing needs and better access to speech and language therapy.
The petition can be accessed on this link https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/587872 and we’ve done a tweet about it here: https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1404876367334883332?s=20
If you are able, and totally understood if it’s not possible, it would be great if you were able to promote the petition to your beneficiaries, encouraging them to sign and share. As you know, with 10,000 signatures, it will receive a response from Government and if it gets 100,000 signatures, it will be considered for a debate. The petition is open until 9 December and can be signed by any British citizen or resident of the UK.
Since being tabled just under three weeks ago, it has already attracted over 6,400 signatures. So, fingers crossed, we hope it will hit 10,000 in the next few weeks. If and when we get a response from Government, we may do more further public affairs activity on it. We will come back to you on that.
We have also set up an e-action for people to contact their MPs. All this requires is a postcode and five minutes. The e-action is accessible on this link: https://rcslt.eaction.org.uk/FundSLT2
Again, any promotion you could do of this would be great, but understood if not possible.
Where response numbers have allowed, we have broken down the survey findings by clinical condition on this page:
- ADHD – yet to be formally launched
- Aphasia – being formally launched on Wednesday
- Autism - https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1397439858885419014?s=20
- Brain injury - https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1394903145189421056?s=20
- Cleft lip and palate – https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1392366430608404486?s=20
- Deafness/hearing loss – https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1389833488648519682?s=20
- Down’s syndrome – https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1402513290585051140?s=20
- Learning disability – https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1386930611747622917?s=20
- Neurological conditions – https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1390192101586087936?s=20
- Parkinson’s disease – https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1407586719243767810?s=20
- Stammer – https://twitter.com/RCSLTpolicy/status/1399976574267670530?s=20
Other breakdowns we’ll be doing include developmental language disorder, developmental delay and speech sound disorder.
If you are on social media and wanted to follow discussion we are using the hashtags #BuildBackBetterSLT & #FundSLT
We hope this is of interest and will keep you updated on further developments, including on the petition. There is more information on our dedicated webpage https://www.rcslt.org/get-involved/building-back-better-speech-and-language-therapy-services-after-covid-19/ If you had any queries, or no longer wished to receive update emails, please let us know.
Thank you again and with best wishes,
Peter and Padraigin.